Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

SLEEP IS GOOD



Yes, I've landed in Las Vegas.  My brother Dan drove me to the top of Mount Charleston today, which goes up to 11,916 feet (I'm into mountains on this journey--the highest in Nevada is Boundary Peak at 13,140 feet, versus 13,796 ft at Mauna Kea) as our outing today and dinner with Dan and Sharon.


I've been on the road for five weeks now and feel totally refreshed because I slept 12 hours last night at Dan's apartment in Las Vegas.  I don't remember the last time I did this...perhaps when I was an infant.  I've written about sleep many times, first in Chapter 2 of SIMPLE SOLUTIONS for Humanity, and in various blog postings.

Mind you, there are those who think sleep is a huge waste of time.  U.S. Senator Spark Matsunaga was known as the Senator who did not sleep.  He worked late through the night and, he says, subsisted on cat naps.  Well, I observed him well, and, unfortunately these naps took place at public hearings, and I was perplexed whether to wake him up or not.  By the way, there is a Spark Matsunaga Elementary School (to the left, students from this school singing the National Anthem at a ceremony honoring the 100th Infantry Battallion, 442nd Regimental Combat Team at the Washington Hilton last week) in Maryland where he lived.

I'm of the opinion that more sleep is better.  I've referred to this list before, but About.com.Longevity says:

10. Sleep Helps the Body Make Repairs



The National Sleep Foundation has the following recommendation:
How Much Sleep Do You Really Need
Equally important, though, is the duration of sleep, for short ones






  • Increased risk of motor vehicle accidents












  • Increase in body mass index – a greater likelihood of obesity due to an increased appetite caused by sleep deprivation












  • Increased risk of diabetes and heart problems












  • Increased risk for psychiatric conditions including depression and substance abuse\











  • Decreased ability to pay attention, react to signals or remember new information.









  • You would think that medical science would have by now found a cure for enlarged prostates, as not only does this ailment make travel difficult, it makes "pissing" inaccurate, no doubt must contribute to cancer and makes REM (rapid eye movement) sleep difficult, therefore, affecting virtually every other facet of life.  Sure, there is an abundance of natural cures, as for example, saw palmetto, and some might actually work for some, but they won't work for everyone.  There is also a plethora of pills, but you worry about the effect on your liver, etc.

    Finally, with sleep can come dreams.  There are, of course, various blog sites.  My HuffPo on Suicide Dreams was weird, and I've been trying to analyze what it meant.  Your subconscious is supposedly attempting to communicate with you through your dreams, but how can you remember those messages?  And what do they mean?  But that's another subject for someday later.

    -

    No comments: