Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

MY SECOND THANKSGIVING TURKEY

I roasted my first turkey two years ago.  You can read about it in the Huffington Post.

It was a spur of the moment decision this year.  I now know that all major supermarkets sell a 10-16 pound turkey for $3 or so if you purchase $25 to $50 of merchandise, not including anything ethanolic.  So I walked from my apartment to the Safeway and brought home a frozen 12 pound fowl and more than a hundred dollars of stuff that I'll someday use.  No wonder they do this!

I had enough salt to soak the bird in brine, but you normally need a day or two to work all this out.  I had two hours so resorted to some hot water.  I figured bacteria would not cause any problems in that time frame.

The star of my din-din is the stuffing, which includes:

  -  chopped onions, water chestnuts and mushrooms
  -  sliced gizzards fried in a lot of butter
  -  can of corn (including liquid portion)
  -  all the above poured into and mixed with steamed rice.

Two hours later at 325 F...


The black spots are cracked pepper, which worked.  As my next annual batch is soon arriving, I splurged on two Stanford wines, the Chardonnay at 13.9% and Zinfandel at 15.9%:


By tradition, I ate alone.  I did not quite finish the whole turkey, nor the wines, but I have enough of the former now in my freezer until well into 2012.  I now look forward to a couple more Thanksgiving meal with family and friends.

-

No comments: