Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 27, 2010

WHAT SHOULD I DO FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE?

One thing an around the world trip does is provide an opportunity to think about what I might want to do for the rest of my life.  About a decade ago I retired from the University of Hawaii, allowing me to publish three books (Book 1Book 2Book 3), write more than 80 articles for the Huffington Post and start a daily blog, all with a purpose to save Planet Earth and Humanity.

However, I'm wondering if I'm doing more harm than good by trying to save anything.  Perhaps I should be spending my precious few years left on something else more enjoyable and, maybe, even profitable.  Thus, I present a thought piece for your comments:

I first referred to Carnac the Magnificent in my HuffPo entitled, Evolution, Global Warming, Doomsday and the Afterlife. So again I turn to this sometime seer, say, around the Year 2012 with, "Sin, Religion, Natural Disasters and Cloning," which will of course puzzle Carnac, for there seems no connection on initial analysis.  
What I'm leading to is that I'm at a crossroad on what to do with the rest of my life. What dismays me is that all my pontifications on renewable energy and global warming have not made a difference. No, it's even worse, for I'm having a negative effect. Coal remains the fastest increasing energy source and initial installations of wind power in 2010 will drop.  
In the U.S., global warming concerns are actually decreasing. With the Republicans now controlling the House, it can only get worse. My earlier HuffPo on this subject garnered 40 comments, and what I've since observed has only reinforced my views. Thus, the Planet Earth portion of my efforts has failed, and miserably. Unfortunately, the Humanity part is no better. I've now posted four peace messages and the most recent one published a month ago drew all of 2 comments, and one was me. And, yes, world defense expenditures are increasing. If you add all this war spending of countries #2 through #18, this total would just about equal that of the USA, at $663 billion last year.  
The Cold War is over. North Korea and Iran will not provoke a world war. There is only a scattered rag-tag bunch of dangerous terrorists irritating us. A few billion well placed dollars should be able to sufficiently neutralize them. Just imagine the resultant $1.5 trillion/year instead applied by the new sustainable industrial complex toward wind turbines, solar power systems and next generation biofuels?  
Yes, foolish thinking, of course, further proof about why I'm wasting my time convincing no one of any importance. I might as well gain readers and make some money by maximizing readership. I've found, for example, that my recent blog excursions into sex and drugs doubled my pings. It has been documented that sex sells best. So, let me combine sex and drugs and call them SIN.  
Like Ying and Yang, SIN relates to RELIGION. Have you noticed some of these religious HuffPostings? They sometimes draw thousands of comments. Fire, brimstone, God, Sodom, Gomorrah...people flock. I'm initiating this personal review from the Netherlands, a country doing everything possible to stimulate a fatwa or invoke the ire of the Pope.  
Almost nine months ago I was in Amsterdam when I got an email request from the HUFFINGTON POST, asking me to submit an article on the tsunami coming to Hawaii. This was February 27 when that 8.8 earthquake rocked Chile. Interestingly enough, CNN constantly showed two live views of Waikiki Beach and Hilo Bay in Europe, so I could track what was happening in Hawaii. Many of my friends back home couldn't because they were forced to head for the hills. A few reading my HuffPo linked to my daily blog, and that day, the fewer than 100 readers I usually get daily jumped to more than 3,000. Yes, NATURAL DISASTERS draw people.  
But relevant to this posting, remember Sodom and Gomorrah above? Call it Mother Nature, or the will of God, but natural disasters are means by which He responds, I hear. Wonder what Chile and Haiti did to spite Him? If there is any reality to this line of thinking, Amsterdam and San Francisco...watch out, you could be next.  
Finally, for good reason, my HuffPo article on cloning elicited 224 comments. To many, this is like playing God, thus there most definitely is a religious linkage, a subject matter that seems to weave through the most inflammatory of issues. So, to maximize interest, I should add CLONING to the topic areas.  
As renewable energy, climate change and peace are too, too boring, I wonder if I change my blog title from PLANET EARTH AND HUMANITY to THE SIN, RELIGION, NATURAL DISASTERS AND CLONING POST, there will be an uptick in readership? To maximize clicks and minimize any potential for personal backlash, I can elicit pro bono contributions from provocative personalities. Hmm....  
Of course, there is a punchline. Carnac regains control, ponders, and asks: "What virtual newspaper has surpassed THE HUFFINGTON POST as the #1 web site? Yes, for my final decade of life I really should pursue something like The Sin, Religion, Natural Disasters and Cloning Post. Then gain, maybe not.

Any comments????

-

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come home, look around, lots of work to do here.
Lots of little children to teach, they will learn and change the world.
Doug.

Patrick Kenji Takahashi said...

I'm home, and must note that there is a problem with little children. The dual hammer of Peak Oil and Global Warming will hammer society, most probably in only a few short years. We need to do something right now...and nothing is happening. In fact, the general public is seemingly less inclined to believe in any climate problem and are again buying larger cars, while industry is building more and more coal power plants.

Doug Carlson said...

Pat, in light of your insights, suggest we rename the game-changing OTEC technology we've both supported to something more provocative: "Oral Titillation for Elicit Consequences" would get more hits.

The Hawaii Energy firm is tasked with encouraging behavior change and a better understanding locally of the energy and climate issues. Keep up the fight.

Patrick Kenji Takahashi said...

By the way, Doug, there seems to be an awakening of the Blue Revolution concept, which, of course, is driven by OTEC. My blog of 30Sept2010

http://planetearthandhumanity.blogspot.com/2010/09/blue-revolution-and-japan-marine.html

summarizes a talk I gave in Japan on my recent trip, following a community presentation I made in August

http://planetearthandhumanity.blogspot.com/2010/08/blue-revolution.html

Leighton Chong, in particular, has been active organizing a guidance council, and his blog provides some details at

http://hawaiitechnology.blogspot.com/

Leighton and I spent October 16 at Zhejiang Ocean University to discuss cooperation with China on the concept:

http://planetearthandhumanity.blogspot.com/2010/10/shanghai-to-zurich.html

I had lunch in Oslo, Norway last earlier this month to follow-up on a joint effort with the European Union.

Grant said...

Hi Pat,

why "final decade ?" surely there are a few more !! At least two.

Humans are basically monkeys, its good to remember that to understand all the driving forces going on today.

Tribalism rules, to effect good change harness those undeniable forces....

Yours

the Sage of Newcastle

Grant said...

eg Wiki leaks

Wiki Leaks is the urge (or evolutionary balancing force) to stop people lying. Lying, is evolutionarily bad for group survival, so its selected against. Thats why your mther says dont lie. And why monkeys get outcast and killed when they lie.

Very simple stuff.

oooga booga